Wednesday, January 17, 2024

My Day Today

 

 A Day Filled with Gratitude

After leaving a too long comment on OneKidsMom's (sorry Barb) latest post, the decision was made to create a post of my own.

For the past week, Mother Nature and Ol' Man Winter have been in ferocious competition.  Similar to most of the country, we've had more than our fair share of high wind warnings, wind chill warning, and weather advisories.  Predicted dustings of snow became a heavy, white out snow fall bordering on blizzard conditions. The high wind, especially during the night, took its toll on sleep.  Tired became the word of the day.  Tired of wind.  Tired of snow.  Tired of cold.  Tired of being stuck in the house.

Today brought a heap of gratitude.  The sun decided to shine and the thermometer climbed to above freezing.  My car has been the main reason for my lack of sleep.  There's no garage here, so the car is parked outside.  This morning, after clearing the melting snow and ice from the deck, I ventured down to see if it would start.  It turned over immediately.  My car is over 20 years old, but it gets regular oil changes and maintenance.  Today was the reward for taking care of details.  

Another area of concern was how cold it is on the south side of the house.  The laundry room was 55* this morning.  The draft through the kitchen and living room was very apparent.  According to my wonderful neighbor, the dryer vent, the exhaust fan flap over the stove in the kitchen and the flap over the fire place in living room were lifted by the wind and then frozen partly open.  Melted from the sun and now closed.

The new water lines that were dug in November resulted in running water throughout this brutal cold snap. Last winter, there were frozen water lines for 8 days.  My neighbor has called several times to check on me.  As a thank you, I ordered a basket full of Harry & David cookies for him and his family.  With a wife and 2 teenagers, I appreciate the time he takes from his family if I need a helping hand. 

The weather prediction for tomorrow is temps again above freezing.  It's my plan to make a trip to town for a stop at the recycle center, then Walmart for milk and bread.  It will be nice to get out.  The bottom is supposed to fall out of the thermometer again for the weekend.  Also a possibly of snow.  BUT...next week we get a nice warm-up with a January thaw. 

 I am grateful that the weather did not cause damage and/or cost $$$ repairs.  I am grateful for the auto shop with whom I've done business for over 20 years that keeps my car in good condition.  I am grateful that I have been blessed with caring neighbors.  I am grateful for my friends here who visit and leave nice comments.

Stay safe.  Stay warm.


5 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful day full of reasons for gratitude! And you're welcome to be verbose in comments on my blog any time! It makes for a bit of conversation back and forth!

    I'm glad you wrote "the rest of the story". It's a challenge when your car has to sit outside. My son and his wife... both cars outside. Her folks... also outside. I'm very fortunate to have a garage that I can use for the car PLUS some storage. But I remember those "broke newlywed" years when hubby and I (and our infant son) had cars that sat outside, and we had no choice. Praying that the car would start in Winter was a daily item!

    ((( hugs ))) and may tomorrow bring more sunshine and gratitude with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent 12 months in Glasgow, Montana while Bob was stationed overseas for a year. We had a block heater installed and we had a garage. Starting a car in winter can be the pits. Been there. Done that.
      It was a great day! It's my hope that tomorrow will make 2 in a row.
      Have a lovely evening. ๐Ÿค—hugs for stopping by.๐Ÿ’ž

      Delete
  2. In Ottawa, ON, Canada the cars come with plugs and nearly every place has a outlet to plug in the cars for the block heater to keep the engine from freezing in the extreme cold. Our area cars don't have those as they don't get as cold as the capital. It really does make a difference with all the care one takes for their car as those that don't seem to. Happy to hear that things were okay during this cold snap for you. Us too, just a few frozen windows that we thawed out with a blow dryer. Enjoy the rise in temperature as we shall too. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a cruel winter...and it's only been slightly over a week for the bad weather...seems like a month. I think everyone is looking forward to the warmer days. My hope is that they stick around 'till spring. Frozen anything is a pain. Isn't it amazing all the different things that can be taken care of with a blow dryer besides hair? Enjoy the warmer days! Errands to run today ahead of tonight's snow and brutal wind chills return. At least this time it's only for the weekend.
    Stay safe. Stay warm. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to have you back blogging Jeanne. As is was with you, it is with us now, severe winds, torrential rain , very cold ( by UK standards) and tomorrow may bring a tornado to our west coast. It's not expected here so I too am grateful.
    However, we've just started kitchen renos and it's my duty to take the rubble/tiles etc down the drive in the cold rain and high winds to put into thick rubble bags. Great exercise so again I AM grateful..............well sort of ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคฃ
    Glad all your repairs are holding and you're looking forward to warmer weather.
    Will chat soon and maybe send pics. Take care sister from another mister ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete

Trying Again

March